Scope & content
The Rhode Island Solid Waste Management Corporation Citizens Solid Waste Management Advisory Board Records of the Director consists of correspondence to the chairperson, copies of correspondence to/from, clippings, copies of clippings, reports, copies of reports and report drafts, brochures, programs, meeting notes (original), meeting notices and agendas (copies and original), magazine articles (copies), speeches and notes, and copies of legislation.
Covers the following topics/events/subjects
- Moratorium on new incinerators, 1991-1992 (A result of the state’s failure to implement 1986 “Flow control” legislation, requiring maximum levels of source reductions, recycling, composting, and other alternatives before incinerators may be built - Clean Waters Action News/Spring 1991)
- Proposal for incinerator/resource recovery plant in Quonset, 1992
- Purchase of Silvestri Landfill in Johnston by the Solid Waste Management Corporation, 1985
- Formation of the Solid Waste Management Corporation and Citizen Advisory Board, 1974
- Startup of Statewide municipal and commercial Mandatory Recycling Program in Rhode Island, 1986
- RFP re: recycling
- Material Recycling Facility Opening, 1989
- Work of Citizen Action Groups (Ecology Action for Rhode Island, League of Women Voters etc.) prior to the formation of the Rhode Island Solid Waste Management Corporation and Citizen Advisory Board
- Blount Waste Plant and Agreement to build the state’s first trash to electricity incinerator at Quonset Point/Davisville Industrial Park, North Kingstown, January 1987.