RIAMCO

Rhode Island Archival and Manuscript Collections Online

For Participating Institutions

Station Nightclub Victims’ Collection

Rhode Island State Archives

Rhode Island State Archives
337 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Tel: 401-222-2353
Fax: 401-222-3199
email: statearchives@sos.ri.gov

Historical note

The Station nightclub fire occurred beginning at 11:07 PM EST, on Thursday, February 20, 2003, at The Station, a nightclub located in West Warwick, Rhode Island. It is considered to be the fourth deadliest nightclub fire in United States history, killing 100 people. The fire was caused when pyrotechnic sparks, set off by the tour manager, Daniel Biechele, of the evening's headlining band, Great White, ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings around the stage, creating a flash fire that engulfed the club in 5½ minutes. 230 other people were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured.

On May 20, 2003, nondenominational services began to be held at the site of the fire on a monthly basis. Family members and friends gathered to memorialize their loved ones. In June 2003, the Station Fire Memorial Foundation was formed with the purpose of purchasing the property, building and maintaining a memorial. The Foundation continues to hold yearly services on the site, near the anniversary of the fire.