The North Kingstown Ambulance Association was first incorporated in July 1943 as the North Kingstown Ambulance Service. In later years the organization was more prominently referred to as the North Kingstown Ambulance Association and for a period was also known as the North Kingstown Ambulance Corps. Residents could subscribe to the volunteer run ambulance service by paying an annual fee, or nonsubscribers could use the service for a higher rate.
In 1975, the organization's charter was amended to include the town of Exeter. In 1982 the organization's name was officially changed to the North Kingstown/Exeter Ambulance Association. The name was changed again in 1987 to the Exeter Rescue Corps., as by that time the Town of North Kingstown was paying for its own ambulance service managed by the town's fire department. In 2014, Exeter Rescue Corps. dissolved, with the town of Exeter's ambulance service being maintained by the Exeter Volunteer Fire Department.
For a period of time, the North Kingstown Ambulance Association's headquarters were at 31 West Main Street in Wickford in what was originally the Methodist Church. The building has since served as a firefighting museum, an art gallery and shops.